Saturday, August 9, 2014

Hair Care


Color-treated hair is naturally more fragile and apt to break. Also, lightening from black to brown and adding highlights will tend to turn your hair brassy or pull out a lot of red (like mine). To prevent this, here are my hair care techniques and holy grail products:

1. The number ONE thing you can do for you hair, if nothing else, is to stop using any shampoo that has sulfates in it. Sulfates will strip your hair of nourishing oils, as well as strip all that lovely color you've spent hours getting just right.


My go-to sulfate free shampoo is the L'Oreal Ever Pure Smooth Shampoo in the Rosemary & Juniper scent. 

I also use about 3-4 times a week, the L'Oreal Oleo Therapy Deep Recovery Masque, also sulfate-free.

Cleansing conditioners are also another way to go instead of using a shampoo and conditioner; the one I use is sulfate-free L'Oreal Ever Creme.

2. The second best thing you can do for you hair is to STOP USING HEAT. That means no blow-drying in the morning; try air drying instead. No curling, no straightening. Try only heat-styling your hair on the weekends or go two weeks in between.  See how far you can go; you'll probably surprise yourself.


My hair used to be so frizzy that it only looked good if I blow-dried it; however, once I stopped using sulfate laden shampoos, my hair was softer and silkier even when air-dried. Why wouldn't it be since it was now retaining all my natural oils?

3. I have tried all sorts of drug store oils out there and Dove Pure Care Dry Oil containing Anatolian Pomegranate seed oil is my favorite.  I apply it generously on my damp hair from mid-shaft to the ends and finger comb it through then let my hair air dry. Soft, silky, and my hair smells wonderful.

I also apply this oil at night, again from mid-shaft to the ends, then braid my hair. It penetrates my hair overnight, leading to even softer, silkier hair in the morning.



4. Another overnight treatment is the Pantene Overnight Miracle Serum. I use this about once a week (instead of the Dove Dry Oil) and it works wonders. Plus the scent is very refreshing.

5. If you are going to blow dry, curl or straighten your hair spray a heat protectorant all over first.

6. Use a microfiber towel or an old T-shirt to dry your wet hair out of the shower. Terry cloth is more damaging. Also, blot, don't rub. 

To prevent brassiness:
No doubt you've heard about purple shampoos to prevent your color-treated hair from acquiring brassy tones. I love my shampoos and conditioners and don't want to have to switch to other brands so all I do is add Ardell red/gold corrector to them and use as usual.



Here, I just added one packet to my L'Oreal Oleo Therapy Deep Recovery Masque. Sulfate-free, color-safe, and deep conditioning!



Here, I took an empty Oleo Therapy jar, cleaned it out, added my favorite shampoo and one packet of  Ardell red/gold corrector.

I find that using purple shampoo/conditioner every day keeps my hair color toned down.  It's still rich and vibrant, but not brassy or red.